Top 12 Winter Family Fun Activities
- Museum Fun!
The Manitoba Children' Museum offers daily theme-based activities throughout Winter Break and you can visit the Eaton's Holiday Vignettes...the adorable moving display of fairy tale fun! Visit the CM on December 31 for a special program from 11am-1pm. We'll have top hats and tiaras to help you look spectacular. Take a family a souvenir photograph, enjoy live music, enjoy hands-on science activities, balloon creations a ginger-ale toast to 2018, and a festive 1000-balloon drop led by Countdown as we ring in the New Year at noon!
The Manitoba Museum features Hockey, the Stories behind the Passion. This unique travelling exhibition offers visitors an exciting interactive experience showcasing high points in the sport from both yesterday and today. There is also a local exhibit focusing on Manitoba hockey history.
The Manitoba Electrical Museum hosts their FREE exhibit All That Glows. It is a history of holiday lighting from 1880 to the present. Located at 680 Harrow St.
- Winter Wonderland: Get outside and build a snowman or snow fort as a family. Take a family winter walk! Head to your local park or community centre with toboggan slides and skating rinks. Don't forget the hot chocolate and healthy snacks!
- Movie Time: Put on a classic movie from Mom and Dad's childhood and watch it together. Kids love to hear all about when Mom and Dad were little and what their favorite things were.
- Indoor Picnic: Laugh in the face of 30 below weather! Everyone gets to wear shorts and eat summer foods. Watch a summer time themed movie too!
- Indoor Camping: Kids love to pretend they are camping. Pack them up as if they were really going out on a camping trip and set up a tent in the basement or living room. Play board games and have fun without electricity. Make a picnic meal and sleep in the tent overnight.
- Family Entertainment:
MTYP presents The House at Pooh Corner Ages 6 and up! Spend the holidays with Winnie the Pooh, Christopher Robin and friends, December 9 - 30;
PTE presents Munschtopia, based on the wonderful stories by Robert Munsch. This year they feature Put Me in a Book!, Wait and See, Pyjama Day!, Jonathan Cleaned Up - Then He Heard a Sound and Murmel, Murmel, Murmel. December 20-30. The 7pm shows will be Pajama Party performances - where kids (and parents!) are invited to come in their pjs and enjoy milk and cookies in the lobby after the show. Portage Place, 3rd floor.
Royal Winnipeg Ballet presents their seasonal classic Nutcracker December 19-29 at Centennial Concert Hall
Our beloved Fred Penner is in concert at the Burton Cummings Theatre, December 15th at 3:00
- Homemade Gifts: Think holiday season and make lists of gift ideas together. Get shopping done early before stores get crowded. Why not bake homemade gifts this year? Get the whole family involved in the project.
- Ski & Snowboard: Learn to ski or snowboard at Stony Mountain Ski Resort. So close to the city and a great opportunity for a day of family fun.
- Scavenger Hunt: Plan a scavenger hunt in your home. Hide notes throughout the house to lead the kids to a surprise treat at the end of the hunt.
- Better To Give: Have the kids go through their toys and clothes to see what they have outgrown and could donate to a charity. Charity begins at home and even the youngest children can learn that caring for others and helping those in need is so important.
- Puzzle Fun: Set up a table and start on a family puzzle. It's a great way to teach patience, persistence and enjoy quality family time together.
- Library Adventures: A place filled with adventure after adventure for every member of the family. Call your local branch for special Winter Break activities or head downtown to the Main branch for an exciting library experience.
Magazines, videos, books on tape and more are available to check out with your FREE library card
Top 12 Winter Family Fun Activities
Winnipeg Parent's Unique Holiday Gift Ideas
Sleep Right, Sleep Tight
Dashing through the snow: Let's share the experience
To the top